Pix. 1. You can cook easy recipes with cowpeas which is a nutritious food
Cowpeas, Vigna unguiculata, is a very nutritious food to eat. According to Stanton (1966), cowpeas (black-eyed peas) contains about 20-25 % protein. Furthermore, Stanton states that its protein value is double that of most cereals. In this article, I want to share with you two easy recipes you may choose to cook with this highly nutritious food: cowpea pie and cowpea cutlets.
The ingredients you will need in order to prepare cowpea pie are
- 340g of cowpeas or about 2 milk cups
- 150g of rice or the equivalent of one milk cup
- ground smoked herrings or any powdered fish you can lay your hands on. Measure about 90g of the powdered fish into a bowl.
- I medium-sized onion
- 3 small pieces of tomatoes or one large tomato
- 1 teaspoon of powdered pepper
- a teaspoon of salt
- 4 tablespoonsful of cooking oil
- 2000 ml of water for cooking the rice (10 milk cups)
- 2 tablespoonsful of margarine
- 7 tablespoonsful of wheat flour
- Cook the cowpeas and rice until they are both soft, then mash them together.
- Prepare a gravy using the oil, blended tomatoes, onion, pepper, powdered fish, and salt.
- When the gravy is ready, add about half of it to the cooked rice and cowpeas.
- Make a pastry using the wheat flour and margarine.
- Grease the inner lining of a baking dish with some of the cooking oil.
- Pour the pastry into the dish and bake it in a moderately hot oven for about 30 minutes.
- When cooked, spread the remaining gravy on the baked pie and serve it.
The table below shows what you need to cook this meal and the quantity of each ingredient you need to use.
Table 1. Ingredients you need to prepare cowpea cutlets.
|Cowpeas||500g||3 milk cups|
|Eggs||300g||4 large ones|
|Tomatoes||240g||2 large ones|
|Onions||60g||8 large ones|
|Ground shrimp||20g||1 tablespoon|
|Bread crumbs||300g||2 milk cups|
|Cooking oil for the sauce||40 ml||3 tablespoons|
|Water for cooking the cowpeas||2400 ml||12 milk cups|
|Oil for frying||1000 ml||5 milk cups|
How to Prepare Cowpea Cutlets
- Cook the cowpeas until it is soft and dry.
- Sieve it to get a smooth paste.
- Prepare a sauce using the oil, blended tomatoes, onion, pepper, shrimps, and salt.
- Add the sauce to the paste and mix thoroughly.
- Mold the mixture into cutlet shapes.
- Brush with a beaten egg and coat with bread crumbs.
- Repeat till you have used all the eggs.
- Deep fry and serve hot with salad.
Copyright ©2017 All rights reserved Dating Advice for Shy Guys